Serves 4 – 6 people.
All Ingredients should be prepared before you start cooking. This will save time and make cooking the dish easier and more enjoyable.
- 1 cup (250ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups (430ml) water
- 1/2 (2ml) teaspoon salt
- 1/4 (1ml)teaspoon baking powder
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 1 piece fresh ginger root (2×1 inches or 5×2.5 cm)
- 8 green onions
- 1 can (15 ounces or 425g) mangoes
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons (20ml) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) corn-starch
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sesame oil
- Combine flour, 1 cup (250ml) of the water, the salt and baking powder in a medium size bowl. Beat with whisk until blended. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut skinless and boneless chicken into 1/4 inch (1 cm) wide strips. Mix them into flour mixture.
- Cut ginger into wafer-thin slices. Cut onions into 1/2 inch (1.5cm) pieces. Drain mangoes and cut into 1/2 inch wide (1.5cm) strips.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat until it reaches 375F (190C). Add chicken, one strip at a time. Cook until golden, in about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Leave about 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil in the wok. Reduce heat to medium. Add ginger to oil in wok. Stir-fry until ginger is light brown.
- Combine remaining 3/4 cup (180ml) water, the vinegar, sherry, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, bouillon and sesame oil. Carefully add to ginger all at once. Cook and stir until mixture boils. Add onions. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Mix chicken and mangoes into soy sauce mixture. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Serve immediately.