Like this Chinese Walnut Chicken. There are two versions of walnut chicken you might be familiar with, a stir-fry with a very light but flavorful sauce and one with a white creamy sauce made out of mayonnaise or sweetened condensed milk.
- 4 dried mushrooms
- 4 oz shelled walnuts
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 lb chicken
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Soak the mushrooms in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Chop the walnuts and fry in 2 tablespoons of the oil for 2 minutes.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper to remove all traces of oil.
- Cut the chicken meat into small pieces, fry in remaining oil for 3 minutes over fierce heat, stirring all the time.
- Mix the cornstarch to a smooth paste with the sherry, soy sauce, salt and sugar.
- Add to the chicken and mix well.
- Drain the mushrooms and chop roughly, add to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the walnuts.