This braised chicken recipe, is emblematic of the Basque region’s affection for colorful, peppery stews. Though paprika can work in a pinch, it’s the flakier, lightly spicy, more enigmatic Palette pepper that’s characteristic of the region.
- 3 red peppers
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb chicken meat
- 1 oz fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp oil
- pinch of brown sugar
- 2 tsp sherry
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Core the peppers and cut into thin rings.
- Fry in the oil and salt for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tablespoons water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces.
- Chop the ginger finely, fry both chicken and ginger in oil for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and sherry.
- Mix the cornstarch to a smooth paste with the soy sauce and add to the pan.
- Heat gently, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Add the peppers and cook for 1 minute.